Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Extraordinary in the Ordinary



Kirsten (right) and Jessalyn chowing down at the crawfish boil.

Hey from Opelousas! It’s been a fantastic couple days down here in hot Louisiana. I absolutely love it here, however it is unlike any other missions trip I have ever been on. Unknowingly, from previous experiences, I have equated these past trips solely with relational experiences, not physical labor.

This time however, the Lord is directly challenging me to find Him in the tedious and mundane. In chipping paint, sanding boards, pulling out nails, pressure washing, hauling tile, and cleaning the various gritty places found in an old house. Whether I see the results now, or never have that opportunity, my focus needs to be on bringing glory to my Savior in the little tasks, even if no one notices.

It continues to amazes me how much can fall apart and lose its use when left without a caretaker. Likewise, God has been showing me that when I fall to the wayside and allow my daily responsibilities to become meaningless, they really do eventually lose the original purpose for which they were created. I should be seeking the Lord in every aspect, no matter the time.

Honestly, in the past, I have chosen to acknowledge the clear work of God in those select times during a one-on-one with a close friend on campus or a worship chapel. Now, He is revealing how much more He wants to be apart of my everyday life. Every little mundane thing has the capability to be a catalyst of the Lord’s hand, if only we ask Him to be apart of every aspect of our lives.

After only two days of processing this, I am even more excited to see what the Lord reveals to me and the rest of our team in the next couple days. And I am so excited to take this new recognition back to Tennessee with me so that I can begin to practice recognizing the presence of God in every action, whether that’s building a relationship or scrubbing paint off walls.

God is doing marvelous things down here, and I can’t wait to see what He will continue to do down here in good ole’ Opelousas, LA.

Because of His grace,
Kirsten
BFC Louisiana

No comments:

Post a Comment